You've probably watched it at least 100 times by now. Countless images of fan art have been created. Someone already had the new ball droid tattooed on their body. Yes, the first official teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens has taken the world by storm. And now the galaxy's biggest podcast is going to take a deep look at our first footage from Episode VII.
Check out the full shownotes below:
- First up, a word from a surprising new sponsor...
- Chris starts off by telling everyone what we disliked about the trailer - that way the rest of the show is left for the good things. And there are a lot of good things.
- As mentioned in our announcements, check out the 2014 Artmore Project.
- Almost two hours solid of The Force Awakens teaser analysis!
- We look at the teaser scene by scene, covering topics like:
- Is John Boyega's character on the run of the Empire? Why?
- The importance of the probe droid sound.
- Who does the new ball droid belong to? How does it work?
- Is it important to show how technology works in Star Wars?
- Is this droid going to be the new R2-D2?
- Thoughts on the stormtrooper design.
- Where are they landing?
- Is John Boyega one of the pictured stormtroopers, or are they hunting him?
- Is Daisy Ridley a native of the planet she's shown on?
- What is she after or running from?
- Thoughts on the importance of Oscar Isaac.
- What has happened to the Rebellion?
- Which acter is portraying the new villain shown in the teaser?
- Thoughts on the new lightsaber.
- Why was it so important to include the Falcon?
- Who is Andy Serkis playing in the movie?
- The signifcance of the narration.
- Why the Big Three didn't have to be in the teaser.
- And so much more!
- Meg sits down with Chris Taylor, Deputy Editor at Mashable and author of How Star Wars Conqured the Universe (starts at 1:34:14). They talk about:
- The experience of seeing the teaser in theaters.
- Chris has theories on a role reversal of the Empire and Rebellion.
- Is the desert planet Tatooine?
- The importance of not over-analyzing things like how the lightsaber from the teaser works.
- Why does Star Wars continue to impact culture so powerfully?
- Plus a wonderful impression of the Emperor.
- And more!
- Finally, we play your voicemails! You tell us what you thought of the teaser.
Sit back, relax, and join Mallory, Chris, Meg, Jason, Andrew, and Austin as they talk about the galaxy far, far away.
We would like to thank the fantastic Joe Hogan for creating our album art, and the talented Jen from the Anomaly Podcast for her voice work in our intro and outro. Thanks to Andrew from MakingStarWars.net for providing our opening rocking radio sound clip.
Email us at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter at @farfarawayradio. You can also find us on Facebook, Tumblr, and Instagram. Don't forget to subscribe, rate, and review us on iTunes and Stitcher. Or, subscribe via Feedburner.
Call and leave us a voicemail at 864-707-1138.
Produced by Austin Blankenship and Matt Eaton, with Alys Murray as Program Director.
May the Force Be with You!